Read through some of our frequently asked questions below to find answers to common questions about applying and receiving your tax refund from mytaxrefund.co.nz. If you have any additional queries please feel free to contact us here.

Frequently Asked Questions

How long will it take?

We will process your refund application typically within the same day as received and once all supporting information is received. Once all details are available in our experience, we can usually get your refund requested and confirmed   within 3-5 working days of this.

What do I need to provide?

We require a full application form to be completed, including the drivers licence details to be verified. If you do not have a drivers license then on the response page of your online application on our website (we will also send this link in an email to you) print out the information as provided on your online application, sign the form and date it and send it back to us with one of the other approved identification documents (as shown on the form).

How long has Mytaxrefund.co.nz been in business?

My Tax Ltd trading as mytaxrefund.co.nz has been operating in this business since April 2008. We have performed our service for customers numbering in the tens of thousands. We have a very high retention rate with our existing customers and one of the quickest payout times of any refund company.

Is my information secure?

Our site uses 128 bit encryption on any information entered and sent through to our secure servers. We also will not use any personal information for anything other than our specific business purpose use.

How do I get my money?

Your refund is paid to My Tax Trust Account and any fees are deducted at this point prior to the net refund being released to yourself. We aim to pay out from our Trust Account on the same day that we receive funds from the IRD.

What if I owe Inland Revenue money?

If you have an overdue amount with the IRD, the IRD will use any refunds to pay this debt – we have no control over this. If your debt is under arrangement and this is up to date – typically then refunds will be able to be paid out. This is once again up to the discretion of the IRD.

What happens when I appoint My Tax Ltd as my tax agent?

The IRD will automatically send out a letter stating that you have been linked to our tax agency. This is a generic letter sent to all people in NZ who use a tax agent.

I have loss of income insurance – can I claim for this?

Absolutely. If you have been paying this insurance then it is fully tax deductible (provided the benefit from the policy is taxable) – its usually pretty expensive so definitely worth claiming for – just let us know.

Why is the amount different on the IRD Personal Tax Summary letter than your letter?

A Personal Tax Summary is received by the client from IRD for each year we process for the full amount of the refund, it does not show our fees.

I have been informed that I need to submit a full tax return (IR3) due to arriving in the country part way through the year or I have received schedular payments – why is this?

If you have arrived in NZ part way through the tax year, then you are required by the IRD to submit a full tax return. We can submit this for you and also tidy up any other returns you may have outstanding which in fact may not be required. The IRD charge late filing fees for these returns, if we can ascertain these are not required we can get these fees reversed for you.

If you have received schedular payments from an employer greater than $200 in any tax year, you are required to submit a full tax return (IR3) also. The reasoning behind this is schedular payments are different to PAYE in that they are a fixed rate, rather than a rate that varies due to greater or lesser income. Therefore an end of year square-up is required. We can easily sort this out and submit for you – also if you have failed to file a back year return but have not been required to file ever since – we can get these coded off for you and any overdue fees charged by the IRD taken off your account.

We have a $90 charge for IR3’s they are more involved and time consuming to submit.

What is the ‘Tax Year’?

A tax year runs from 1st April – 31st March – so when we ask questions we are always referring to this period.

An example of the 2019 tax year is 1st April 2018 – 31st March 2019.

What happens if I am bankrupt?

Your refund will be paid to the official assignee.

I pay child support. Will they take my refund towards this?

If you have any arrears, then possibly. If you are up to date with your arrangement then you may receive it. We will advise you either via letter or email.

How many years can you check if I’m owed any money from IRD?

The last 5 tax years –  2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 tax years. The 2019 tax year finishes on 31st March 2019 and will be available to calculate in late April early May 2019.

Can I apply over the phone?

No, you have to apply online.